Monday, May 24, 2010

Butts Wide Shut (LOST)

"It's off the air. Can't do anything about it now."

Not that you could have done anything about it if it were still on the air, considering you are not one of the creators of ABC's hit epic series, Lost.

Lost is the most frustrating thing to talk about with annoying people. I barely watched the last two seasons of the series, but had a better grip on that shit last night than any of the people on my office. Evidently. "Why did they waste time with all of the [flash sideways] stories?", "They must have needed to fill a 2.5 hour show," "Why didn't they answer all of these questions? They left too many things hanging," "Why were people who weren't even on the plane in the church?" Oh my god. I just responded to all of these questions and qualms to a couple of co-workers and they looked at me like blood was pouring from my eyes.

Like. Yes. ABC handed down a 2.5 hour finale time-frame and the creators of Lost were all fucking struggling like "wtf how are we going to end this shit?" The end of this series was decided upon 4 seasons ago. The rich-ass Jewish guys with expensive little eyeglasses who created this shit didn't ACCIDENTALLY leave you and all of your questions hanging last night.

You cannot convince people of the right answer if they don't get it. No one has a grip of anything. I'm convinced that your average TV viewers (I'm talking AVERAGE - see: the people chowing down on jalepeno flavored Pringles, not muting the TV when commercials come on, paying to see Con Air back in '97, questioning my cooking capabilities) do not grasp story or care about characters at all, unless they're particularly sexy or evil. All your average person sees is the action that is happening on the screen. You could watch every episode of Lost back-to-back but if you don't have it, you aren't going to get it or feel the fuck out of it. It's just going to be a bunch of exciting plot points and cliffhangers. But, personally, I care about character and story. That's why I got a little emotiono during the finale last night, even though I am a fairweather Lost viewer, at best. Evidently I really cared about these fucking made up people!

You can't please everyone. But. It was a beautiful, touching, emotional and complete ending.

It's a good thing Matthew Fox signed up to be on Lost, otherwise he'd just be known as the squaresville older brother from Party of Five!!! And it's also good that Evangeline Lilly signed on to play Kate, otherwise she'd just be some dime-store skank from the LiveLinks commercial, hanging on the party line all night, waiting for you to call her to the tune of $2.99 per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment